Welcome to my Blog!

SMALL LIFESTYLE CHANGES FOR A HEALTHIER BODY

By 12:29

Image Source


This post is a bit of a different one for me - and so I'm starting off with a little disclaimer by saying that in no way am I trying to force anybody to do anything which they don't want to do and I'm not trying to undermine the lifestyle of anybody. Literally - I always live by the idea that within reason I can do whatever I want, and think everybody else should be able to do the same. I hope that nobody takes offence to this as I just think it'd be nice for me to share my thoughts and write something a little different for a change.

The new year has been and gone and it's always that time where some of us manage to forget about those new years resolutions to get fit/eat healthily/drink more water and so I hope that this is a little pick me up for anybody who's plan isn't quite working, or like me, anybody who just wants to lead a healthier lifestyle. These are things that I've really come to notice over the last few months and although not making a huge lifestyle change (I think the key is making one small change, and when you're used to it, make another), I've still managed to lose 16 pounds and I feel a lot happier, healthier and a whole lot more energetic.

Replace Fizzy Drinks with Water
A lot of people say that they need to drink more water, but honestly the first step for me was replacing the fizzy drinks with water. I used to take a 500ml bottle of pepsi to school with me everyday, but eventually I realised that it needed to stop when at the dentist I needed a filling, and he so innocently asked - 'Do you drink a lot of fizzy drinks? That will rot away your teeth'. I now take a 750ml bottle of water with me to college everyday and actually, it makes me feel a lot less bloated and a lot more energetic in itself. I'm a the point now where I barely drink fizzy drinks - I find the bloated feeling so yucky that I'd rather just stick to water, and when I do treat myself to a can of malibu and coke at the weekend, I love it so much more. I do also think that the more you drink, the healthier you will feel although I still drink under the 2L recommendation (I can't put up with going to the toilet 24/7) and still have a better glow to my skin than I did previously.

Don't Eat Before Bed!
This was the biggest problem for me - I think my body had grown accustomed to eating before bed and so it was very difficult for me to go to sleep without eating. My usual intake between 6pm - 11pm was two packets of crisps, two chocolate bars, maybe a yoghurt and if it's the winter, a hot chocolate with whipped cream and marshmallows. The thought of it all now makes me a bit queasy if I'm honest, it's putting it into perspective for me too. I'm not a biology expert, but as far as I know, your metabolism slows when you sleep and so your body is more likely to store calories as fat, which is why general advice is to not eat 4 hours before bed. Sometimes I'll have an apple at around 9pm as I know that if I'm too hungry I won't be able to get to sleep, although I do generally stay away from foods after my dinner when I can.

Snacks
In my college bag there was always a packet of crisps, sandwich for lunch and then an additional chocolate/cereal bar for if I got peckish. There was next to nothing of healthy foods in my diet, let alone fruit and vegetables. I've become a huge fan of apples recently and so there's always one in my school bag (I usually eat it at break), or if I feel like a change, a banana. They're so easy to carry around and eat on the go and take no preparation time. I've heard nuts are good ones too - make sure they're unsalted! I don't really snack on crisps/chocolate very often any more although I tend to buy crisps in big bags so that I can restrain how many I eat (I put them into a bowl, to stop myself from eating the whole bag!) and chocolate more on the expensive side such as truffles so that I can just eat one and then feel content. To eat healthily you don't have to cut out the nice foods completely - really it's just a task of eating them in moderation and at the times of day where you know they'll be burnt off.

The content of my sandwiches vary (ham/cheese/chicken, I feel like a 5 year old with a lunch box right now haha) and although they're not particularly bad to start with, I've slowly started replacing the white bread with brown bread. I don't do it daily as I'm not really very keen on brown bread and so it's a relief to have white bread still in my diet, although I do try to do it where possible as white bread apparently makes you a lot more bloated (and apparently ends up making you more hungry? I think I've been watching too much Supersize v Superskinny).

Image Source

Do a Little Exercise
Don't get me wrong, I'm a little slack on this one myself but it's definitely something I'm becoming better at as time goes on. I literally lead the most sedentary lifestyle which you could imagine - wake up in the morning, get dropped to college, sit on a chair at college for 5 hours, get picked up from college, go to bed. It really says something when the most activity I ever did was walking to and from lessons! My Dad got a new job recently and he's been using the car and so it has been forced upon me to walk to school and back everyday. I live on top of a huge hill too and so while I quite like walking to school, the walk back really gets my heart racing if I put the effort in. 40 minutes walk daily for 5 days a week isn't bad going and I sometimes do little workouts at home from YouTube videos (The Lean Machines/Carly Rowena/Blogilates) or iPad Apps (I love all the 7min workouts!). I'd personally like to start doing the couch to 5k challenge one day, although I'm unfortunately still trying to pluck up the confidence to go for a jog - I've been told many times that I look silly when I run haha, and going out in the bad weather and in the dark really isn't appealing. I promise I'll start when the evenings get lighter! Exercise has endless benefits - it makes you look good, makes you feel good and can work wonders to wake yourself up in the mornings.

Body Brushing
As of yet, I don't body brush although after reading Katrina's post on body brushing, it's something I really want to get into. We're going out shopping during half term and so definitely want to pick up a body brush then (they cost about £5 at boots), as it apparently works wonders for cellulite and helps to improve circulation. Obviously I'm not expecting it to replace the effects of eating healthily and exercising, although I really hope that it'll at least make me feel slightly more body confident and help to give my skin that little extra glow. I will let you know how it goes!

Wash your hair less! 
Not really one to improve your 'health' as such but it definitely makes your hair healthier. I've stopped washing mine every other day and now wash it only twice a week. My hair takes ages to wash and so it saves a lot of time on the evenings and also means that shampoo costs a whole lot less, as I don't end up using quite as much. Also when I apply shampoo I don't really put it at the ends of my hair, as oil travels down the hair and it never reaches the ends anyway - so it saves it from drying out as much. I just thought I'd put this one in here as although it's not really that important, it's still nice to make a good change.

You Might Also Like

21 comments

  1. Great post! It motivated me a little more and I will definitely get a body brush next time I'm in Boots :) x

    ~ www.brunette-wavez.blogspot.ie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this post! Currently making these types of changes myself, but the body brushing is so hard to get into! My body brush has been very neglected for about 3 years but I really need to commit now to get the benefits in summer :) x

    http://headscribbles.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad! Do you think?? I'm hoping I manage to do it before I get into the bath as it takes aaaages for my bath to run, but we shall see! It will be worth it in the end :) xx

      Delete
  3. I think you've picked out the most important things! People sometimes forget that being healthy is a way of living. By making just one small change at the time (like you said), you're able to keep these changes. It's hard in the beginning, but you'll have to make it a habit.
    This was such a wonderful post!

    Sofie x
    Little green Sofie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it!! I definitely agree - I don't think I'd be able to stick to any form of real dieting just because it's so restricting! Means a lot :) Xxx

      Delete
  4. This is such a great post! Doing small changes make a bigger different than you think (and lead to bigger changes as well). I've been trying to eat better and exercise more this year and I feel great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou - I'm glad you like it! And I definitely agree, you've just gotta give these things time! It makes you feel so great, amazing feeling :) xx

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you like it! It's so tempting to eat before going to sleep, even now I have to try hard to resist Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou! And ouch! I wouldn't worry about it too much to be honest, as long as you're eating fairly healthily it shouldn't matter too much :-) Xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you like it - good luck with it! Let me know how it goes :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh that sounds exciting!! I've not been on a bike for ages Xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thankyou!! And I know (I've not really gone out for the last few days so haven't washed my hair for the best part of a week, feels disgusting but it'll be so soft afterwards!) and I hope all goes well! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post hun. I lead quite healthy lifestyle, actually very very healthy one, so I really love posts motivating others to be healthy :) x

    A.
    letterstoa.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really liked your tips on Hair care !! My hair takes ages to dry to and when I'm in a rush it gets so frustrating as I hate sitting around in wet hair!! I also need to exercise way more,for a while I was doing great until lately when it began to snow and the novelty began to wear off! ahah

    http://copycattt.blogspot.ie/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I'm glad you like them - and I can't sit around in wet hair in winter, no way! And definitely - can't be bothered when it's snowing! When it gets warmer I'll start jogging but at the moment I'm trying to get my stamina up a little bit with indoor cardio :) I'd be useless jogging anyway - I can't even speed walk to the end of my road! Xx

      Delete
  12. I loved this post, it's actually made me want to start being healthier! I honestly don't exercise at all because I also think I look horrible when I run and the idea of someone seeing me scares me hahaha! Water makes me feel so much better as well, I rarely drink coke or fizzy drinks now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray!! Haha it's horrible isn't it - I really need to get over it. And it's such a nice feeling! I'm exactly the same :) xxx

      Delete
  13. Such a great post, it's definitely inspired me to get healthier and try some new things out. I'm already body brushing and washing my hair less so that's two things off the list! :)
    I'm holding a giveaway over on my blog, would love for you to check it out http://danielascribbles.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/giveaway-mac-200-bloglovin-subscribers.html
    Thanks lovely xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I'm glad! That's such a great start! :D <3 xx

      Delete
  14. Great motivational posts about the little things we all can do to be healthier! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thankyou! I read yours too the other day - such good tips! I hadn't thought of some of them either o:-) and I definitely agree - diets aren't worth the time! Xx

    ReplyDelete