Welcome to my Blog!

THE BEGINNERS GUIDE TO SKINCARE

By 10:35 ,

This year, one of my new years resolutions was to produce a better skincare routine. I've been cleansing for years but I still always felt like my skin was missing something, and that maybe I was using the wrong products on my face. So far I think I've done well - I'm still no expert but I think I've managed to accumulate products which are enough to give my skin a thorough clean and treat whilst still keeping to the drugstore/budget products. My skin is combination (Oily T-Zone mostly) although I still do get some dry patches in the winter, it's pretty normal most of the time. Obviously what products you'll need will depend on your skin type and you may want to buy different products to suit your skin, so just take from it what you like! :D 


L'Oreal Skin Perfection 3 in 1 Purifying Micellar Lotion £4.99 // L'Oreal Gentle Eye Makeup Remover  £3.49
The first step in my new skincare routine was taking off my makeup. I usually used makeup wipes before cleansing, although this year I decided to replace them with real cleansing waters. Using cleansing water is a lot softer on the skin and eyes and also gives it a much more of a thorough clean. Using a separate eye makeup remover is definitely an optional step (I've reviewed it here) as the Micellar Solution can be used also to remove eye makeup. 

Avon Planet Spa Hot Cloth Cleanser // Clean & Clear Deep Cleansing Lotion for Sensitive Skin £2.99 // Boots Simply Sensitive Gently Refreshing Toner £2.69 // L'Oreal Triple Active Day Moisturiser £4.49 // Natural High Gentle Exfoliating Face Scrub (discontinued)
The most important part of the skincare routine starts here. I always cleanse my skin with a hot cloth cleanser from Avon (of course I'd love to buy the one from Liz Earle, but I just can't justify it at the moment!) and follow this up with the Clean & Clear Cleansing Lotion to make sure that all of the extra residue is gone from my skin. I've literally been using this lotion for years - I can really notice the difference when I don't use it. Afterwards I always apply a toner to close my pores as much as possible, which I've previously missed out in my routine but honestly, you can really feel the difference when you do it. I also moisturise in both the evening and morning as my skin is susceptible to dryness around the edges and so it's good to put some of the moisture back into your skin after cleansing. 

Another aspect in your skincare routine is Exfoliating. At the moment I use whatever there is on my shelf although there are so many exfoliating products available in the drugstore it's not really difficult to find one at a low price. Exfoliating removes all of the flaky skin from your face and leaves it feeling a lot fresher and smoother, although it is only really needed weekly as doing it too often can be painful and un-necessary.

The Body Shop Strawberry Body Polish £5 // The Body Shop Strawberry Body Butter £13
I received these products as part of a set as a Christmas gift, and whilst they are on the expensive side, it's definitely worth it. Bottom line, the Body Polish is an exfoliator for your whole body and the Body Butter a moisturiser. I don't do this anywhere near as often as I should, but it's definitely recommended to exfoliate your body to remove all of the dead skin cells, and moisturise to add some moisture back into the skin and reduce dry patches. 

Rimmel Sun Shimmer Instant Tan // Montagne Jeunesse Face Masks (approx £1) // Quinoderm for acne - £2.65 // Avon Clearskin Blemish Clearing Face Mask // La Roche Posay Effaclar duo+ - £15.50
Of course, the products which I've listed above aren't the only products you should use in your skincare routine. I think I've pretty much covered the basics but you may wish to adapt it slightly if you have a different skin type or problematic skin. With such a range of products on the market, you can also add other products into your skincare routine such as fake tan (exfoliating beforehand is highly recommended to get an equal tan) and face masks, and lotions and serums.

What products do you love using in your skincare routine? I'd love some suggestions! :D 

You Might Also Like

7 comments

  1. Great picks, I love the Micellar solution!
    http://whattaylorbuys.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the post and some of the things you've chosen look like the could be quite good to try. I love the L'Oreal water, I'm currently using the Garnier one (which is just as good), I'm using the Garnier Moisture Match for combination skin which is really good, I can recommend that for a facial moisturiser.

    http://beautyskooldropout2013.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it was helpful! I've had samples of the Garnier Moisture Match and they are really nice - I definitely want to purchase some full sizes when I've used up the moisturisers I've got :) Xx

      Delete
  3. I use the L'Oreal eye makeup remover which is fab stuff, removes anything! I really want to try the micellar water as I hear nothing but good things about them.

    beautybyalicee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fab! Yeah, don't tell anybody but if I'm feeling lazy i'll sometimes just use the eye makeup remover all over my face. Whoops! It takes it off all the same :) xx

      Delete
  4. No problem - I'm glad it was helpful! That's a great start, I'm far too lay exfoliating my body! Haha x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh yay! I thought I was the only person haha, and I will have a look out for those! :D <3 Xx

    ReplyDelete