Welcome to my Blog!

BOXING DAY SALES - MONEY AND GUILT

By 12:34


I've been considering writing this blog post for a while and I'm pretty sure that it's going to come across as a complete joke,  although I am being deadly serious.  I've reached a point in my life where I have so many beauty products that every time I buy another, I feel a huge amount of guilt and upset. So much so, that I actually feel the urge to return the item. It literally stays with me for days. 

Going down to the Boots sale on boxing day is tradition for me and my Mum - we both absolutely love it, such a fantastic way to pick up some bargains. However, when you need to buy nothing - what is the best thing to do? Buy products and stash them away for when you need them? But then, makeup and perfume do have shelf lives and it would be a shame to buy them and for them to go rotten. Alternatively if you buy them later on in the year when you need them you risk having to pay full price whereas you could have saved 50% or so by picking it up in the sale a couple of months beforehand. 

I am wondering whether it's only me who puts this much thought into buying products from the sales (and a month before the sale even starts?!), although I'm definitely looking to be a lot more cautious with what I buy in the sale. Some Soap and Glory products are definitely on my list as I haven't really tried many of their bath products, and my holy grail hand food ran out a couple of months back. I think I'm going to make 2015 the month year of using up the products that I do have rather than buying new things - and then the sale this time next year will be a whole lot more exciting. I feel so grown up and money-savvy saying that! 

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. I think that this is a very sensible post and I agree that it's a good idea to be more mindful of our shopping habits as this is better for us in the long run. In order to truly appreciate all of the pre Christmas deals and post Christmas sales, I actually curbed my spending quite a lot throughout the year so now I can afford to treat myself a little without feeling too guilty as I've kind of 'earnt it' I suppose!

    Miss Beauty Saver / Instagram

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you agree! That's a good idea - I should take note from this over the next year! xx

      Delete
  2. I totally agree! I'm making a point of using up all my old products as my beauty cupboard is fit to burst! It definitely makes the thrill of buying new products more exciting as you know you'll be using them straight away, instead of waiting until you've used up all your other products first! Great post x
    http://georgie-awaywiththefairies.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! That's exactly what I'm trying to do at the moment - I'm surprised at how long they all last for! Exactly, it's so exciting to buy new products when you know you're going to actually use them! x

      Delete
  3. I always think I'm the only one too! I love clothes shopping also but I feel bad about that too as I always buy the same type of clothes and I have absolutely no wardrobe space! Cannot win! haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boxing day shopping is a tradition for me and my mum, can't beat the sales x

    daisy-drops

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do sometimes feel guilty about buying certain things, especially palettes etc as I already have so many, but when it comes to the Christmas/Boxing Day/new year sales I never feel guilty as it only happens once a year and I save up or use my Christmas money x

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! I usually feel like it's a nice Christmas treat although I do have so many un-used/barely used products that I've sort of lost the feeling this year. It'll be awesome next year though! haha x

      Delete