Welcome to my Blog!

Items to look for in Pound Shops

By 17:30

If there's one thing that really excites me, it's picking up a bargain. Pound shops is a firm favourite for getting value for money, but it's important that you know what you are looking for. Some items believe it or not, particularly food items, aren't cheaper than a typical supermarket if you are able to shop around. That said, there are some real gems that you can pick up if you know where to look.




BOOKS 
The book section was one which I didn't bother looking in for a while, although occasionally when I'm browsing I'll find something that I've wanted to read for a while. My favourite purchase was probably Lauren Conrad's book, 'Starstruck' (£6.99 on Amazon), and I do find that the books vary between store and rotate very often, so it's worth looking as often as possible.

DVDS & BLURAYS
Similar to books, there are lots of DVDs (and sometimes blurays) that can be brought from pound shops for a whole £1. I don't often buy DVDs any more if I'm being honest, with so much catch back available (iPlayer, 4OD etc) and netflix, I hardly find myself wanting to buy a physical DVD. That said though - if you are interested in them, it's worth having a look to see whether there is anything that takes your interest as they have a lot of variety. 

STATIONERY/CRAFT
I buy lots of stationery from Poundland, the majority of it is fantastic value for money. I brought my 2014/15 academic diary from there last year and I used it to death through the year, I liked that it was thin so it was easy to carry around and you wouldn't know that it was from Poundland by just looking at it. The pens and crayons are also great value from pound shops, and they occasionally sell unusual items such as my most recent purchase, a sudoku book (It sounds silly, but I love doing sudoku, especially when I'm travelling!)

BAKING TOOLS
In Pound Land, there is a collection of Jane Asher baking tools which I have heard nothing but rave reviews about. At £1 a pop there's no harm in giving them a try.

SEASONAL DECORATIONS
I've been watching a lot of Pound Shop Wars recently and I absolutely loved watching the episode about Halloween! They have a lot of decorations come both Halloween and Christmas and I think they're fantastic value considering how much they actually will get used. Whether you want to re-use them year on year or even just use them for one year and throw them away, I don't think you can go too far wrong. A lot of my Christmas decorations are from Pound land although, you really wouldn't know by looking at them.

MAKEUP 
I think makeup is one of the most controversial offers from Pound Shops - I have heard rumours in the past about the products being out of date etc, although I have never personally had an issue with them. I wrote a blog post a while ago about makeup I brought for £1 and my collection has been growing since. I don't think all of the makeup is particularly out of date, as one of my most recent purchases was a Rimmel Matte Apocalips (RRP £6.49), although they only came out recently.

Do you use Pound Shops often? What products do you recommend?

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I love poundshops! You really can pick up such bargains. I got the apocalips too, and have had rimmel and calvin Klein make up from there as well, and lots of books too. Such a poundland fan! Great post.

    Suitcase and Sandals Blog XXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely post, really helpful! I've found quite a few makeup bargains in my local pound shops, I haven't ever had a problem with them either!

    alice x // beautybyalicee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this - I'm always on the look out for where I can get new books without paying ridiculous prices! :)

    Silly Little Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love having a good browse in pound shops. I have to be careful though otherwise I end up leaving with loads of clutter!
    Megan x
    London Callings

    ReplyDelete